Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Israeli impressions cont'd

As anticipated, new impressions and opinions of Israel/Jerusalem have bubbled up in my noggin since last I wrote. Last night I had a facebook chat with my oldest friend and expressed some of the things I was feeling when I came home while they were still fresh. I copied some of those ideas here and expanded on them. When thoughts are whirling about inside my head and kicking up emotions every which way, I find it impossible to edit content and make it neat, so here you go, the raw blog diet: 


I think it might feel easier if I'd had an opinion on the conflict before coming here


I am just so monumentally saddened by how evident it is that there is no solution, no compromise possible


anything anyone does or could do is just salt in someone's wound


but tonight I witnessed Jerusalem Day celebrations at the Western Wall


they're commemorating the capture of the Wall by Israel from Jordan during the Six-Day War


the Hasidic men were dancing and singing at the tops of their voices


and I remembered the longing I felt all throughout my childhood for a tradition that went back as far as Judaism, a tradition that hadn't changed


I remembered all those years of reading nothing but Potok


I remembered yearning, gut-wrenching yearning to have been born into an identity


and I saw the joy in their faces as they celebrated having reclaimed the epicentre of their homeland, even though that epicentre is still incomplete; it is the closest they can come today to what was once the temple, but it is not the temple


and I saw the policemen


and I saw the army


guns and guns and guns


and I walked through the security gates


and I thought of Isaiah and Lamentations


and the words of Jesus to the women of Jerusalem


and Revelation


and Weep No More

and And God Shall Wipe Away All Tears


and how the Zionists obviously hope to bring about the healing of the land and the restoration of the land, to fulfill the ultimate purpose of the land, by bringing Judaism back home to Jerusalem


but that with all that has happened since 1948, I cannot believe the establishment of Israel to be the fulfillment of biblical prophecy; I don't think that those prophecies will be fulfilled until the day when heaven and earth are finally renewed, because something like that can't be forced 


and I was overcome with the hopelessness of the situation, the sense that the killing and fear will never end

that two groups of people not just in Israel and the Palestinian Territories but all over the world seem incapable of achieving peace, and that every act from one party will always result in retaliation and payback from the other party. 


and I hope it gets easier to deal with, but at the same time I think that that would make it seem less important somehow. I don't want to feel less strongly, even though what I'm feeling is changeable at best and ambiguous at worst. 

1 comment:

  1. You know, Hannah, its going to be hard. Sometimes I describe my time there as the best trip I ever had and sometimes I think Israel is the worst place in the world! The atmosphere is hard to express. I am thinking of you as you grapple with this inexpressible tension.

    ReplyDelete